Let me introduce myself and welcome you to my new blog/podcast. My name is Molly Hooper, and I love Congress. The First Branch of Government – of the people, by the people and for the people.
For many years, I’ve walked the halls of Congress as a reporter with various news outlets. During that time, I have had the chance to get to know members of Congress, the teams of staffers and other legislative support staff.
When you start talking to a lawmaker, it’s clear that behind the title of “Rep,” “Sen,” “Leader,” and “Speaker” is a regular person with unusual aspirations.
The goal of Article One with Molly Hooper is to educate and entertain readers and listeners interested in understanding how Congress works from a practical perspective – a birds-eye view.
- What does it take to become a member of Congress?
- How do you hold on to that job once voters decide to send you to Capitol Hill?
- How do you get things done: bills passed, amendments made, nominations confirmed?
- How do you get on the right committees? What does the right committee even mean?
- What is a motion to recommit? Why should I care?
I plan to share with you my one-on-one conversations with lawmakers, senators, challengers and staffers who make Congress work. These lawmakers are real people: they have families, pets, hobbies and friends (outside of politics.)
- Article One with Molly Hooper is my attempt to tell these stories – share successes and defeats – with an audience interested in what makes members of Congress tick.
- I plan to release at least one podcast per week (which I will cross-post to this website.) Between those podcasts, I will fill in the news gathered out of those interviews.
- I have interviews lined up with lawmakers who represent purple districts, challengers to those incumbents, Senators engaged in the Supreme Court nomination fight and bicameral duos fighting for fairness in the military code of justice.
I invite you to engage, send tips (for topics to cover on Congress) and interview suggestions.
2020 feels like a hurricane of news, the eye of which is centered squarely above the Capitol Dome.
Buckle up, this will be an entertaining and educational ride.
9 thoughts on “Welcome to Article One with Molly Hooper …”
This sounds like a blog whose time has come. I’ll be checking regularly for breaking news and updates.
Best of luck to you Molly. I’ll be anxious to tune in.
Good idea molly. Ive also covered Congress for years And know what human almost all good people they congressmen are. I hope you will get a good audience Willing to hear your stories because people are so caustic about Congress and everything else right now.Hope it works for you!
Can you make some Money from it?
My Only problem with your endeavor is I don’t like podcasts. I hope you have time to put it in print because I prefer reading.
Are you broadcast or a print journalist?
Peggy! Great to hear from you … I started in broadcast … then went to print … then back to video/broadcast. 🙂 I will update with my written component on this website and embed (who knows what that means, right?) my podcast episodes in blog posts as well. I’m fixing to release some blogs shortly. The response from lawmakers has been great.
A welcome addition!!
Congrats Molly! Let me know if I can ever help.
Thank you, Molly!
This is a great idea and I’m eager to follow your interviews and articles about Congress and how it functions. We can all benefit from learning more about this important part of our government.
Great idea! Loved listening to your podcast with your Engaging insight! You really articulate “how it is”.
Will continue to follow you👍